Thursday, 19 August 2010

Can email marketers learn from a basketball coach?

Chris Hislop wrote a really nice blog piece discussing how email marketers could apply Bobby Knight's coaching techniques to their roles in email marketing.



I have just highlighted his main points so do be sure to visit his blog for the full article.

Amplify’d from blog2.ecoastsales.com

Email Marketing with Bobby Knight

by Chris Hislop on August 5, 2010

“I’d be less than honest if I didn’t say to myself, ‘What am I doing this for?’”

This, the question posed by coach Bobby Knight, is food for thought for fellow email marketers with new campaigns on their plate to design and execute. If you can’t look at what you have in front of you and make sense of it, what are you doing it for? If it doesn’t make sense to you, or the message/call to action feels empty, how do you think the recipient(s) of your message are going to react? Keep it simple. Keep it brief. Keep it straight and to the point – much like the coaching style of Mr. Knight. No fluff, no filler… lay it right out on the line and see how folks react. If you find yourself in a rut, always keep the notion, “what would Bobby Knight do?” in your head. If he would just crumple it up and toss it across the court, perhaps you should head back to the drawing board.

“We should not have to push you to work hard. You should work hard because you want to be a great player.”

“People change over the years, and that changes situations for good and for bad.”

“Discipline: doing what you have to do, and doing it as well as you possibly can, and doing it that way all the time.”

“The key is not the will to win… everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.”

“Everybody hears, but few listen.”

“I think that – not only do I have to change some things, I mean, I think I have to eliminate a thing or two. Not just change it, but I mean, just get rid of it.”

“Failure, to me, is not having the desire to try. Having the desire to try is in its own way success.”

“A coach should never be afraid to ask questions of anyone he could learn from.”

Read more at blog2.ecoastsales.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment